The Merrylands Infrastructure Upgrades consist of a series of storm water drainage infrastructure replacements, construction of new roads and other utility upgrades across Merrylands CBD.
This revitalisation project aims to transform Merrylands CBD into a modern and vibrant center through the creation of future development opportunities, improved infrastructure and public amenities. The stormwater upgrades will maximise the potential for future revitalisation within the location. It will also reduce existing and future flooding issues.
Scope of works – Neil St Precinct
Works are being carried out in the area between Neil St and the Holroyd Gardens as well as along Neil St and Pitt St including their intersection. The scope of works includes the relocation of existing services and construction of new roads and drainage infrastructure (including stormwater culverts). The new roads and drainage infrastructure will service new and future developments, some of which are already being constructed.
Cumberland City Council is building new roads to improve pedestrian and vehicular connection between Neil Street and Sheffield Street, Dressler Crt and Holroyd Gardens. The new roads will include shared pedestrian and bike paths. Refer to the Neil St diagram.
Statewide Civil has been contracted by Cumberland City Council as the Principal Contractor to construct the works on behalf of Council. The project commenced in February 2020 and is due to complete May 2021.
The works to date have generally been away from public areas. However, the following works in public areas are required:
- Construction of major stormwater culvert across Neil St – this is now complete
- Construction of new intersection – due to start in January 2021 and due for completion in May 2021. Traffic will be impacted eg lane closures.
- Construction of new stormwater pipes along Neil St and Pitt St, including across the intersection – this has commenced and will be ongoing until March 2021. Traffic will be impacted eg lane closures.
View the Neil Street Precinct sitemap in the image gallery.
Scope of works – Merrylands CBD
Cumberland City Council is building major stormwater culverts and new roads to better connect McFarlane St to Merrylands Rd via an extended Main Lane. The new roads and drainage infrastructure will service new and future developments, some of which are already being constructed. These essential infrastructure works will also facilitate future revitalisation and development of the CBD area. Refer to the CBD diagram.
The works to be carried out include the following:
- The rear of the building at 219 Merrylands Rd will be partially demolished and rebuilt to make way for the new culvert and Main Lane extension). Works are underway and will continue until January 2021. Some minor and local impacts to adjoining businesses and Main Lane and McFarlane St carpark.
- Construction of major stormwater culverts between McFarlane St and Merrylands Rd, extension of Main Lane and new substation at Sarah Daniel Court. Works will be carried out between April 2021 and December 2022. Impacts on pedestrian pathways between Merrylands Rd and McFarlane St, including temporary closure of McFarlane St carpark.
- Construction of major stormwater culvert across Addlestone Rd, local drainage upgrade along Merrylands Rd and other local streets. Works will be carried out between April 2021 and December 2022. Impacts on pedestrian pathways and temporary lane closures are expected.
View the Merrylands CBD sitemap in the image gallery.
During this time, we encourage you to view the plans for the Merrylands Infrastructure Upgrades in the document library on this page.
RPS Group has been appointed as Project Manager for this project. More information can be obtained by contacting:
Manager Assets & Construction, Cumberland City Council
P: (02) 8757 9595