February 2021 update:
Unknown ground conditions and services have impacted on the progress of this project. Due to these unforeseen circumstances the project completion date is end of March.
July 2020 update:
Hector Street Bridge, Chester Hill is closed as critical infrastructure works commence. The bridge will be closed in both directions for the duration of its upgrade. This project is jointly funded by Cumberland City Council and The City of Canterbury Bankstown. The City of Canterbury Bankstown is managing the works on behalf of both Councils.
Work being undertaken
- Demolition of existing bridges;
- Earthworks, drainage system upgrade, and relocation of services;
- Construction of retaining walls, footpaths, driveways, kerbs, gutters and traffic islands; and
- Construction of new, wider bridges with new asphalt pavement, line marking, and signage.
Traffic control measures with detour routes for all vehicles will be in place 24 hours. This means on-street parking and local access will be affected during works. We apologise for any inconvenience caused during the construction of these improvements.
We would like to remind regular users of their detour options:
- Light vehicles can detour via Elliston Street, Priam Street, and Boundary Road. Alternatively, light vehicles can use Campbell Hill Road
- Heavy vehicles can detour via Waldron Road, Park Road, and Wellington Road. Alternatively, heavy vehicles can use Woodville Road.
You can view the detour maps on the flyer in the document library.
- Stage 1: Work on Hector Street Bridge has commenced and is anticipated to be completed in late March – weather permitting.
- Stage 2: Is anticipated to be completed in Mid 2021 – weather permitting.
If you have any questions about the upgrade, please contact Council on:
Phone: 8757 9000